In 1910 Sean McCarthy’s grandfather Justin McCarthy joined Rodway as an accounting clerk. In his quest for success, Justin worked his way up to becoming the General Manager and went on to list McCarthy Rodway on the London Stock Exchange in 1936.
In the early 60s Justin McCarthy was succeeded by his son Brian McCarthy, Sean McCarthy’s father. His tenure saw enormous growth in the motor industry with the McCarthy name becoming the most trusted name in South African motoring and the biggest motor retailer in the Southern Hemisphere.
In 2003 Sean McCarthy broke away from McCarthy Retail Limited with the intent to create his own dealership group and so the SMG story began.
Continuing the succession of the McCarthy legacy in South African motor retail, Sean’s son Patrick McCarthy joined SMG after completing his tertiary education.
VISION & MISSION
OUR VISION: To be at the forefront of motor retailing in South Africa, continuously setting the trend in customer satisfaction, service and experience.
OUR MISSION: To ensure that the needs of our customers are exceeded as a result of delivering premium service in order to create the ultimate retail and ownership experience.
SMG inspires staff members by creating an energetic working environment that promotes a driven and enthusiastic team.
A strong emphasis is placed on our partnership with our manufacturers, therefore ensuring that all decisions taken by the SMG team is in alignment with the manufactures strategy.
SMG has grown significantly since 2003, with the initiative and drive from Sean McCarthy, as well as the longstanding history of the McCarthy family name stretching over 100 years in South African motor retail.
Our commitment to service excellence is frequently recognised by our manufacturers – evident in receiving BMW South Africa’s most prestigious award, Dealer of the Year, six times in the last seven years; our Jaguar Land Rover dealership in Hillcrest is the only Jaguar Land Rover dealership in the country to have won Dealer of the Year for both brands three times; Hillcrest Toyota winning the Dealer of the year in 2018, Vice President Award for Customer Experience and the Best Automark Dealer in the country for Mega Category Dealers; and SMG Rocks being awarded MINI Dealer of the Year three times.
- Launched SMG BMW Durban and SMG BMW Pietermaritzburg
- Introduced MINI to SMG BMW Durban
- Launched the group’s first Approved Repair Centre in Briardene, KZN.
- Opened SMG BMW Century City
- Opened Hillcrest Toyota
- Opened SMG South Coast
- Opened a standalone MINI Dealership in Umhlanga, SMG MINI Rocks
- Opened Jaguar Land Rover Hillcrest
- Opened Jaguar Land Rover Pietermaritzburg
- Acquired BMW Umhlanga ( including Approved Repair Centre, BMW Motorrad)
- Acquired BMW Tygervalley
- Opened Jaguar Land Rover Constantiaberg
- Opened SMG BMW North Coast in Richards Bay
- Opened SMG BMW Ballito
- SMG BMW Umhlanga moves to the iconic Umhlanga Arch
- Introduction of Lexus to Hillcrest Toyota
- Opened SMG Toyota Cresta in Gauteng
- Opened Jaguar Land Rover Cape Town City Service Centre
- Acquired BMW Cape Town City
- Acquired BMW Constantia
- Acquired MINI Cape Town City
- Acquired MINI Constantia
- Opened Cape Town City ARC
- Opened SMG Yamaha Lifestyle centre
- Opened Chery Umhlanga
- Opened Chery Century City
- Opened SMG Grenadier Umhlanga
- Opened SMG Grenadier Cape Town
- Opened standalone Lexus Umhlanga dealership
- SMG Rocks moves to BMW Umhlanga